Monday, December 14, 2009

Final Thoughts on The Assassin

It is done. The Assassin is finished.

For our first time, it's not bad. I give us a 3 out of 10, with ten being Saving Private Ryan and zero being anything by Uwe Boll. We have music, the sound is pretty good in some spots and Doug's delivery was often quite enthusiastic.

We learned a lot, which was our purpose. The lighting, coverage and most of the blocking were a disaster, but I already have great ideas about how to fix those problems on our next shoot. We can build on the parts that worked and make them even better next time!

It took me from Sept 14th to Dec 14th to get a three and a half minute short film finished. I have a great deal of newfound respect for the people who assemble a movie. Especially the editor and the composer.

My favorite parts were the shoot itself and writing the music. My least favorite parts were the assembly cut and hand-syncing the sound. But it was all a learning experience. Among many other things, I had to learn how to compose music to write the score!

Thank you to Andrew Caton, Caitlynd Trowbridge, Doug Dick and Scott McEachern for all their invaluable help. There would have been no movie without you.

I'm glad it's finally finished and I'm very much looking forward to our next project, 'A Conversation With The Devil', which goes into production in the New Year. Anyone who is interested in taking a role please let me know.

Peace.

No comments: